Where’s my income tax refund?

Most of us have already filed our federal income tax return, but a lot of us still have questions: namely, where’s my refund?

Many of us that didn’t file for an electronic refund (and even some tax payers that did) are now waiting around for their refund. After all the government has had our money for a quite some time now and I have plans for that income tax refund. What can you do to find out where your refund is?
Income Tax Refund Information
Taxpayers can check the status of their 2009 income tax refunds just 72 hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of an e-filed return, or an agonizing 3 to 4 weeks after mailing a paper return.
Go to IRS.gov, and click on “Where’s My Refund.”
Be sure to have your copy of your 2009 tax return handy because the system will ask for your filing status, social security number, and the exact figure of the refund. Taxpayers will then be informed of their refund’s status.
Keep in mind the IRS processes refunds only on Fridays.
Taxpayers may also call 800.829.4477 for automated refund information 24/7. Or call 800.829.1954 during the hours in your tax form instructions
Other tips the IRS wants you to know:
-Tax records should typically be kept for 3 years, while other documents — for example stock transactions, IRAs and documents related to home sales, business or rental property — should be kept longer.
-Keep copies of filed tax returns and tax forms packages — they will help if an amendment is necessary or as a template for filing future returns.
-Taxpayers should send Form 8822 Change of Address http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf to the IRS If they move after filing. And don’t forget to fill out a change-of-address form at your U.S. Post Office.
-If an error on your return is discovered, correct your return by filing an amended return using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf
For more info:
Publication 552 – Recordkeeping for Individuals
Please welcome our guest writer, Sami K. Hartsfield, ACP, a paralegal in Houston with experience in commercial litigation and tax law. She holds a degree in paralegal studies and a bachelor of science degree in political science. After interning with Texas’ 14th Court of Appeals under Chief Justice Adele Hedges and completed the University of Houston Law Center’s Summer 2008 Prelaw Institute, she is preparing to enter law school this fall. Sami holds a national advanced paralegal certification, and four specialty certifications: Discovery; Trial Practice; Contracts Management; and Social Security Disability Law. More helpful tax information can be found at her National Tax Law Examiner page.

1 thought on “Where’s my income tax refund?”

  1. Keep on blogging! its getting through the tough times that make you stronger and then the good times will follow, keep writing about your experiences and we should all pull together.

Comments are closed.